Position Title: Carpenter
This position provides carpentry services Zoo wide as needed.
essential job functions:
- Responsible for building, constructing, maintaining, repairing and/or remodeling all types of wooden structures including cabinets and other objects;
- Cuts, shapes and joins wood, plastic, metal or other materials.
- Repairs and replaces any object made from wood such as floors, stairs, floors, furniture, window frames, glass frames, etc. Builds wooden forms for concrete and cement.
- Erects scaffolds, concession stands, cages, barricades and similar structures as necessary.
- Repairs and installs door locks and closets.
- Sands floors and installs ceilings.
- May direct the work of unskilled workers on the same job.
- Performs activities and functions of related lower-level personnel as assigned or required.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Attendance and Dependability: The employee can be depended on to report to work at the scheduled time and is seldom absent from work. Employee can be depended upon to complete work in a timely, accurate and thorough manner and is conscientious about assignments.
- Communication and Contact: The employee communicates effectively both verbally and in writing with superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside the Zoological Society.
- Relationships with Others: The employee works effectively and relates well with others including superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside the Zoological Society. Exhibits a professional manner in dealing with others, and works to maintain constructive working relationships.
- Provides excellent customer service in the areas of guest relations and park beautification:
- Answers visitor inquiries or finds someone who can;
- Is knowledgeable of location of exhibits, restrooms, concessions, rentals, etc.
- Disposes of litter and waste throughout the park and zoo facilities.
Five to ten years carpentry experience is preferred and a valid PA driver’s license.
Position is physically demanding and works primarily outdoors with exposure to inclement weather conditions; requires the ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
Submit resume to:
Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium