Position Title: Grounds Manager
This position works with the curator supervising and directing collective bargaining unit staff and seasonal employees to accomplish Zoo and departmental goals.
Essential Job Functions
- Plans, organizes and implements the day to day affairs of the grounds department.
- Participates in the development of departmental goals, objectives and procedures.
- Collaborates with the assistant curator to supervise and direct through regular and consistent onsite inspection, the unionized and seasonal staff to accomplish the following departmental goals.
- Maintain cleanliness of all restrooms park wide.
- Maintain cleanliness of all public areas in the park.
- Maintain cleanliness of all glass and acrylic surfaces.
- Removal of trash from all areas of the park.
- Coordinate preparations for rentals, special events, etc.
- Trains and monitors staff in accomplishing custodial functions.
- Coordinates annual training exercises for unionized staff in grounds procedures and equipment.
- Processes bi-weekly payroll/time keeping in accordance with established finance procedures.
- Participates in the hiring process for regular, seasonal and temporary employees.
- Conducts annual employee performance reviews in a timely manner and maintains related files.
- Assists in setting up and maintaining a zoo wide recycling program.
- Coordinate the collection and removal of organic waste.
- Supervise and coordinate the weekly disbursement of goods and supplies
- Maintain an adequate inventory of supplies.
- Assist zoo departments with setup of rental/group events.
- Supervises snow and ice removal by unionized staff and an outside contractor.
- Responsible for administering disciplinary process according the employee handbook and collective bargaining agreement. Maintains related files.
- Provide monthly reports to the Curator of Horticulture and Grounds on accomplishments of departmental goals and objectives.
- Assists curator in annual budget preparation for the grounds department.
- Administer a weekly staff meeting and keep minutes.
- Maintains a working knowledge of the Bargaining union agreement and assists in the enforcement of the agreement
- Attends the weekly special events meeting.
- Exercises initiative in keeping informed on developments in the field and providing quality customer service.
- Prepares reports, records and correspondence for the Curator of Horticulture& Grounds as directed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned and directed.
- Attendance and Dependability: The employee can be depended on to report to work at the scheduled time and is seldom absent from work. Employee can be depended upon to complete work in a timely, accurate and thorough manner and is conscientious about assignments.
- Communication and Contact: The employee communicates effectively both verbally and in writing with superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside the Zoological Society.
- Relationships with Others: The employee works effectively and relates well with others including superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside the Zoological Society. Exhibits a professional manner in dealing with others, and works to maintain constructive working relationships.
- Provides excellent customer service in the areas of guest relations and park beautification:
- Answers visitor inquiries or finds someone who can;
- Is knowledgeable of location of exhibits, restrooms, concessions, rentals, etc.
- Disposes of litter and waste throughout the park and zoo facilities.
High School diploma and three years related experience. Previous supervisory experience, excellent written/oral communication skills, interpersonal skills, conflict resolution skills and working knowledge of Microsoft software required. Valid PA driver’s license required.
This position works indoors and outdoors equally; must be available to work evenings, weekends and holidays. Local and out of town may be required.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume with salary requirements to: