senior education specialist
Position Title: Senior Education Specialist
Department: Conservation Education
Position Status: Salaried, Full Time
The Senior Education Specialist develops, implements, and evaluates a wide variety of programming aligned to the Zoo’s mission, conservation messaging, and educational philosophy throughout the year for the Conservation Education department. Additional duties will include supervising part-time education staff and interns in the development, implementation, and coordination of organized programs and projects for the Conservation Education Department, and other departments. As a supervisor, the Senior Education Specialist must possess leadership qualities, exhibit professional behaviors, assist with education staff development, and effectively communicate with persons within and outside of the Conservation Education Department. Applicants must possess demonstrated teaching experience with students of all ages in the fields of conservation, ecology, and zoology. The Senior Education Specialist must possess a high degree of creativity and flexibility that will enhance current and future projects. Strong customer service skills are requisite. This position works a five-day week including most weekends, some evenings, and holidays. Travel will be required in conjunction with the Zoo’s outreach programs. The Senior Education Specialist reports to the Curator of Conservation Education.
- Plays a key role in the development and teaching of new and existing programs and presentations for the Conservation Education Department, and other departments.
- Coordinates and evaluates conservation education programs.
- Develops and coordinates Grant funded programs.
- Assists with the professional development of part-time Conservation Education staff.
- Competently handles and presents a wide variety of education animals.
- Actively participates in Zoo committees as needed and/or assigned.
- S. or B.A. degree in Zoology, Biology, Education or related field.
- A minimum of 2 years teaching in a zoological park or other informal learning setting.
- Knowledge in the fields of conservation, ecology and zoology.
- Must be available on weekends, evenings, and holidays.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills demonstrating a solid knowledge and use of the English language.
- Must have demonstrated proficiency with computer software programs.
- Proficient presentation skills and attention to detail a must.
- Must have Act 33 and 34 Clearances and FBI Clearance
- Must have a Covid vaccination
- Must have and must maintain a valid drivers license.
- Attendance and Dependability: The employee can be depended on to report to work at the scheduled time and is seldom absent from work. Employee can be depended upon to complete work in a timely, accurate, and thorough manner and is conscientious about assignments.
- Communication and Contact: The employee communicates effectively both verbally and in writing with superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside the Zoological Society.
- Relationships with Others: The employee works effectively and relates well with others including superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside the Zoological Society. Exhibits a professional manner in dealing with others, and works to maintain constructive working relationships.
- Provides excellent customer service in the areas of guest relations and park beautification:
- Answers visitor inquiries or finds someone who can;
- Is knowledgeable of the location of exhibits, restrooms, concessions, rentals, etc.
- Disposes of litter and waste throughout the park and zoo facilities.
This position is primarily based in a classroom setting. Work may be performed within the Park in all weather conditions. Position requires basic sitting, standing, walking, lifting up to 15 lbs, etc.
Submit resume and cover letter to:
Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium