zoo hospital assistant
Position Title: Zoo Hospital Assistant
Department: Animal Health
Position Status: Part-time, Hourly
The Zoo Hospital Assistant is an hourly, part-time position that is responsible for the high-quality care and treatment of the zoo’s hospitalized and quarantined animals, as well as assisting the entire Department of Animal Health in a variety of medical related tasks.
- Provide daily care for quarantine and hospitalized animals at the Animal Care Center, following all applicable protocols including health monitoring, sanitation, and safety procedures when dealing with all animals, including dangerous and/or venomous animals.
- Participate in animal handling, restraint, and treatment of hospitalized and quarantined animals.
- Complete daily care documentation, follow housing and enrichment plans, and coordinate incoming and outgoing transfers of animals from hospital/quarantine as needed.
- Implement hospital disinfection and pest control measures.
- Perform select hospital tasks, i.e. restocking medical supplies, sterilization of cleaned surgical equipment, organize necropsy/pathology tissues, coordinate proper disposal of necropsy specimens, transport laboratory samples, transportation of patients, assist with set-up and break-down of medical procedure equipment, etc.
- Complete inventories of medical supplies and pharmaceuticals.
- Assist veterinarian(s) in absence of veterinary technician or when situation dictates.
- Demonstrate consistent good judgment in animal welfare/management and human safety while maintaining a secure work environment, including animal transport and holding areas and hospital building.
- Maintain confidentiality of medical cases.
- Lead hospital tours for a wide variety of visiting individuals and groups.
qualifications/ Knowledge/Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, animal science, zoology or related field is required. Prior experience working with zoo or free-ranging wildlife, or working in a veterinary hospital, is desirable.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access).
- Must obtain Rabies vaccination and maintain titers. Must provide proof of negative TB status.
- Must be able to work both independently and as a team member.
- PA driver’s license required and must be maintained. Must be willing and able to operate an extended length utility vehicle.
- Manual dexterity and balance is required to operate machinery, equipment, and restraining devices, including restraint nets, pathology supplies, personal computer, etc. Must be physically able to exert up to ten pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects. Work involves standing, walking, bending, reaching, crawling, crouching, etc. for periods of time. Must be able to lift and/or carry weights of fifty to seventy pounds. Position may require occasional off-site driving. Must be able to work in various weather conditions, as well as evenings and holidays when required. Must have astute attention to detail.