Position Title: Communications Manager
Position Status: Full-time, Salaried
Connect people to wildlife, inspiring communities to conserve nature for future generations.
This position will develop communication strategies that increase our visibility and strengthen the Zoo’s brand identity. The Communications Manager will coordinate with Zoo staff members across departments at all levels to interpret and develop the mission, vision, and goals, convey the voice and writing style of the Zoo, and unify the quality of mass communications.
Essential Job Functions:
- Manages communication style and guidelines for the Zoo by utilizing AP standards and focusing on the values of inclusion, innovation, respect, excellence, wonder, and connection.
- Serves as project manager and lead writer for mass communications designed to reach a variety of audiences, including visitors of all ages and abilities, Members, donors, sponsors, and press; understands brand messaging, required tone, and adapts messages accordingly.
- Develops, coordinates, and edits all major Zoo publications, messages, and content in coordination with Zoo staff, including newsletters, TV, radio, print, and social advertising messages, website content, appeals and reports, scripts and presentations, maps and Zoo signage.
- Coordinates timelines and prioritizes the complete development cycle of pieces across departments, including creative services, development, education, visitor services, and others.
- Researches and incorporates expert scientific information on resident animals and conservation initiatives from the Zoo community.
- Assists with the development of the annual strategic marketing plan: develops and standardizes campaign creative messaging; develops PR and advertising plan and budget in coordination with Communication team.
- Prepares proactively and activates when needed for crisis communications; critically involved with the prompt and accurate response to an emerging incident by collecting, writing, contextualizing, and disseminating important facts and key messages.
- Supports PR & Media Manager and Digital Communications Manager with mass and social media messaging and communication activities as needed.
- Works as an integral member of the Marketing team on special events, media relations, other projects, and all other duties as assigned and directed.
- Attendance and Dependability: The employee can be depended on to report to work at the scheduled time. Employee can be depended upon to complete work in a timely, accurate and thorough manner and is conscientious about assignments.
- Communication and Contact: The employee communicates effectively both verbally and in writing with superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside the Zoological Society.
- Relationships with Others: The employee works effectively and relates well with others including superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside the Zoological Society. Exhibits a professional manner in dealing with others, and works to maintain constructive working relationships.
- Provides excellent customer service in the areas of guest relations and park beautification:
- Answers visitor inquiries or finds someone who can;
- Is knowledgeable of location of exhibits, restrooms, concessions, rentals, etc.
- Disposes of litter and waste throughout the park and Zoo facilities.
Bachelor’s degree in Communication, Marketing, Journalism, English, or related field. At least five years of experience in creative and business writing, proofreading, project and publications management, AP style and grammar usage, excellent communication skills, and experience with brand development. Must be able to work independently with a minimum amount of supervision and have the ability to convey information via various media to a diverse population.
- Manual dexterity to operate office machinery such as personal computer, telephone, copier, etc.
- Position is primarily sedentary, usually sitting for long periods of time in an office setting.
- Position involves working in the park with exposure to all types of weather conditions.
- Must be able to work evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Submit Resume and pay rate Requirements To: