Community events coordinator
Position Status: Full-time, Hourly, Non-Exempt
The Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium is seeking a dynamic, detail-oriented events coordinator to create, manage, and host public events on Zoo grounds which welcome engagement from all members of the Pittsburgh community, with attention to diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility. Candidates should excel in building relationships, providing quality customer and vendor service, and be committed to overall excellence.
This position develops, manages, and executes a variety of special events that welcome a wide range of audiences to the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium throughout the year. This role includes event setup, client relations, vendor load-in, activity and entertainment coordination, and the supervision of special events staff.
Essential Job Functions:
- Creates, plans, and implements events that will generate attendance and revenue.
- Researches, solicits and coordinates with vendors, groups, and community organizations.
- Hires and supervises special events staff, interns, and entertainment such as mascot and chalk artist.
- Develops annual budget and meets income and expense line items related to community events.
- Determines expenditures and grows income of department.
- Creates, manages, and tracks online ticketing for special events.
- Coordinates with event sponsors to ensure successful long term relationships.
- Works with Creative Services to develop print and digital materials for events.
- Works with Catering, Grounds, and Maintenance Departments to manage setup, teardown, and active event needs.
- Communicates special events schedule to appropriate departments through weekly special events meeting.
- Works with Docents to secure live animals visit for special events.
- Develops and coordinates animal enrichment activities with Keeper Staff.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Attendance and Dependability: The employee can be depended on to report to work at the scheduled time and is seldom absent from work. Employee can be depended upon to complete work in a timely, accurate and thorough manner and is conscientious about assignments.
- Communication and Contact: The employee communicates effectively both verbally and in writing with superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside the Zoological Society.
- Relationships with Others: The employee works effectively and relates well with others including superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside the Zoological Society. Exhibits a professional manner in dealing with others, and works to maintain constructive working relationships.
- Provides excellent customer service in the areas of guest relations and park beautification:
- Answers visitor inquiries or finds someone who can;
- Is knowledgeable of location of exhibits, restrooms, concessions, rentals, etc.;
- Disposes of litter and waste throughout the park and zoo facilities.
Bachelor’s degree in a related field along with a minimum of 1 – 3 years’ experience in special events, planning, and execution or a related field; a background in sales is preferred.
- Manual dexterity to operate office machinery such as personal computer, telephone, copier, etc.
- Must have the ability to lift up to 30 pounds for event set-up and tear-down.
- Position is primarily sedentary, usually sitting for long periods of time in an office setting.
- Position involves working in the park with exposure to all types of weather conditions.
- Must be able to work evenings, weekends and holidays.
Submit resume with salary requirements to HR@pittsburghzoo.org