Gardener I / Laborer
Position Title: Gardener I / Laborer
Position Status: Full-time, Hourly, Collective Bargaining Unit
The gardener I/laborer is an hourly, collective bargaining unit position responsible for the beautification, cultivation and maintenance of biological species of non-animal life.
- Cultivates ornamental trees, shrubs, herbaceous plants;
- Assists in the development of animal exhibits and public displays;
- Establishes and maintains pest management (IPM) program in accordance with industry standards, departmental, state and/or federal safety policies and procedures;
- Care of plants including watering, transplanting, fertilizing, prune plant material, mix soil, etc;
- Monitors and regulates environmental conditions (including temperature, light levels, humidity, etc.);
- May propagate plants by seed, vegetative cuttings, division, etc.;
- Maintains indoor and outdoor exhibit area in accordance with departmental policy, disseminates information to the public may conduct tours;
- Assists in the design and implementation and maintenance of special displays as assigned;
- Assists in the inventory and recording of the plant collection both manually and by automated methods, in accordance with established collection policy.
- Participation in educational trade classes is expected;
- Performs other related duties as required.
Associates degree in horticulture or related field or equivalent experience is required. Working knowledge of personal computer and software preferred, along with good verbal communication skills. Must have a valid driver’s license.
This position works primarily outdoors in various weather conditions. This position can be physically demanding are requires the ability to lift up to 60 pounds, push, pull, carry, bend, crawl, reach, stoop, walk, twist, shovel, etc. Must be able to work weekends, evenings, and holidays as required.
Submit Resume To:
Zoological Society of Pittsburgh
Human Resources Department
One Wild Place
Pittsburgh, PA 15206
Or email email@example.com