Media & Public Relations Manager
Position Title: Public Relations & Media Manager
Position Status: Full-time, Exempt
The PR & Media Manager will develop and manage public relations and media strategies for the Zoo, connecting the public to wildlife conservation with an attention to diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility.
- Serves as primary Zoo media contact; develops and maintains relationships with assignment editors, reporters, photographers, feature writers, radio personalities, and others looking to coordinate and broadcast Zoo messages.
- Develops, writes, and distributes all Zoo press releases and key messages in coordination with Marketing Director, senior executive staff members, and other relevant parties.
- Pitches, coordinates, and develops stories designed to reach a variety of audiences; highlights Zoo news and events in multiple media formats, including print, video, and digital; researches and incorporates expert interviews, animal facts, and conservation messaging.
- Develops and conducts live and recorded media content, both internally and in coordination with external organizations.
- Develops and carries out crisis communication plan; critically involved with the prompt and accurate response to an immediate incident regarding the Zoo with important facts and key messages.
- Strengthens and incorporates the Zoo’s brand in all communications; works closely with Marketing Director, Communications Manager, senior staff, and others to unite communities and inspire audiences.
- Writes and creates content for print and digital newsletters; works closely with Creative Services to develop publications.
- Develops and maintains monthly and annual reports, media journals, and strategic media relation plans.
- Assists Zoo staff with best practices for participating in interviews while promoting the Zoo’s mission and brand.
- Attends community events and meetings to foster relationships that may result in media or special events opportunities.
- Works as an integral member of the Marketing team on special events, brand promotion, commercial production, and other duties as assigned and directed.
- Other functions:
- Assists department with special events as needed.
- Assists with the planning of public relations budget.
- Attends staff meetings to provide input and update staff as needed.
- Answers email requests, including public relations inquiries and ticket donations.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Attendance and Dependability: The employee can be depended on to report to work at the scheduled time and is seldom absent from work. Employee can be depended upon to complete work in a timely, accurate and thorough manner and is conscientious about assignments.
- Communication and Contact: The employee communicates effectively both verbally and in writing with superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside the Zoological Society.
- Relationships with Others: The employee works effectively and relates well with others including superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside the Zoological Society. Exhibits a professional manner in dealing with others, and works to maintain constructive working relationships.
- Provides excellent customer service in the areas of guest relations and park beautification:
- Answers visitor inquiries or finds someone who can;
- Is knowledgeable of location of exhibits, restrooms, concessions, rentals, etc.
- Disposes of litter and waste throughout the park and zoo facilities.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communication, Journalism, Marketing, or a related field and a minimum of five years related experience. Must be detail-orientated, showcase excellent written and verbal communication skills, success in building community relationships, and commitment to overall excellence.
- Manual dexterity to operate office machinery such as personal computer, telephone, copier, etc.
- Position is primarily sedentary, usually sitting for long periods of time in an office setting.
- Position involves working in the park with exposure to all types of weather conditions.
- Must be able to work evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Submit resume, cover letter, and salary requirements:
Zoological Society of Pittsburgh
Human Resources Department
One Wild Place
Pittsburgh, PA 15206
Or email HR@pittsburghzoo.org