Special Events Coordinator
Position Status: Full-time, Hourly, Non-Exempt
This position develops, manages, and executes a variety of special events that welcome a wide range of audiences to the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium throughout the year. This role includes event setup, client relations, vendor load-in, and activity/entertainment coordination.
Essential Job Functions:
• Create, plan, and implement events that will generate attendance and revenue
• Researches, solicits, and coordinates with vendors, groups, and community organizations
• Hires and supervises Special Events staff and interns
• Develops annual budget and meets income and expense line items related to Special Events
• Determine expenditures and grow income of Special Events Department
• Works with Creative Services to develop signage and printed materials for events
• Works with Grounds and Maintenance Departments to manage all set-up and event needs
• Creates, manages, and tracks online ticketing for special events
• Communicates special events schedule to appropriate department through weekly Special Events Meetings
• Work with Docents to secure animals visits for special events
• Develops and coordinates animal enrichment activities for events with Keeper Staff
• Performs other related duties as required.
1. Attendance and dependability: The employee can be depended on to report to work at the scheduled time and is seldom absent from work. Employee can be depended upon to complete work in a timely, accurate and thorough manner and is conscientious about assignments.
2. Communication and contact: The employee communicates effectively both verbally and in writing with superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside the Zoological Society.
3. Relationships with others: The employee works effectively and relates well with others including superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside the Zoological Society. Exhibits a professional manner in dealing with others, and works to maintain constructive working relationships.
4. Provides excellent customer service in the areas of guest relations and park beautification.
Bachelor’s degree in a related field along with a minimum of 1 – 3 years’ experience in special events, planning and execution, or a related field; a background in sales is preferred.
1. Manual dexterity to operate office machinery such as personal computer, telephone, copier, etc.
2. Must have the ability to lift up to 50 pounds regularly for event set-up and tear-down.
3. Position involves working in the park with exposure to all types of weather conditions, as well as sitting for long periods of time in an office setting.
4. Must be able to work evenings, weekends and holidays.
Submit resume with salary requirements to HR@pittsburghzoo.org