Visitor Services Manager
Position Title: Visitor Services Manager
Department: Visitor Services
Position Status: Full-time, Salaried, Exempt
This position is responsible for assisting the Vice President of Internal Relations with the day to day operations of the Zoo relative to guest services. The Visitor Services Manager oversees direct report staff ensuring smooth operation of all visitor needs including parking areas, tram, zip-line and reception. Direct reports include full-time and part-time receptionists, seasonal staff comprised of parking lot attendants, zip-line and tram staff. This person will have a working knowledge of guest service practices and will remain current on trends that may affect the overall practices and expectations of visitors to the Zoo.
Essential Job Functions:
- This position interacts daily with Zoo visitors, providing information and answering questions while serving as an initial contact to resolve complaints;
- Encourages and maintains good employee relations;
- Select and hires and trains staff annually and when needed; major hiring is done during the annual job fair;
- Resolves conflicts and evaluates staff members for areas of improvement;
- Utilizes each individual’s areas of excellence and expertise to further enhance the level of the team’s capabilities.
- Works with the H.R. department to increase every employee’s knowledge, understanding and accountability for the visitor experience;
- Inspects the Zoo grounds for safety and cleanliness;
- Assists group sales and special events staff as necessary;
- Participates in a variety of meetings to maintain a current level of knowledge of daily changes;
- Coordinates activities with all other departments and stays current with developments zoo-wide to ensure visitor experience is always great;
- Communicates with liability insurance representative regarding all claims from initial contact to resolution of the claim;
- Gathers and analyzes trend information pertinent to the zoo for consideration of park improvement that will help minimize claims and improve the visitors’ experience;
- Conducts department meeting with department staff and develops staff schedules;
- Verifies department payroll for accounting;
- Actively serves on the safety committee;
- Manages the zipline operations;
- Finds ways to continuously improve the visitor experience;
- Must become familiar with all equipment used by the department staff including but not limited to the receptionist switchboard, tram ride operation, zip-line and parking lot armature providing the maintenance staff with trouble shooting information when needed.
- Administers first aid;
- Manages projects when assigned;
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Attendance and Dependability: The employee can be depended on to report to work at the scheduled time and is seldom absent from work. Employee can be depended upon to complete work in a timely, accurate and thorough manner and is conscientious about assignments.
- Communication and Contact: The employee communicates effectively both verbally and in writing with superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside the Zoological Society.
- Relationships with Others: The employee works effectively and relates well with others including superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside the Zoological Society. Exhibits a professional manner in dealing with others, and works to maintain constructive working relationships.
- Provides excellent customer service in the areas of guest relations and park beautification:
- Answers visitor inquiries or finds someone who can;
- Is knowledgeable of location of exhibits, restrooms, concessions, rentals, etc.
- Resolves customer concerns, de-escalates uncomfortable situations to positive resolutions.
- Disposes of litter and waste throughout the park and zoo facilities.
Must have a high school diploma or equivalent and a minimum of three years supervisory experience in a visitor services related field. Must be CPR certified or become certified within the probationary period, have a negative TB test results, maintain a valid PA driver’s license providing proof on an annual basis, possess excellent verbal and written communication skills, the ability to do multiple tasks, work in a fast-paced environment and have the ability to work within a diverse atmosphere while enhancing the employee and guest experiences.
- Manual dexterity to operate office machinery such as personal computer, telephone, facsimile machine, copier, calculator, etc.
- Position is primarily active, usually walking the grounds to ensure proper zoo operations. But does include sitting for long periods of time in an office setting.
- Must be able to work evenings, weekends and holidays, particularly during the busy summer season.
Submit resume and cover letter with salary requirements to:
Zoological Society of Pittsburgh
Human Resources Department
One Wild Place
Pittsburgh, PA 15206
Or email to HR@pittsburghzoo.org