Zoo CampPolicies & Participation Form
Thank you for enrolling your child in the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium’s summer Zoo Camp program!
Your child must be a paid and confirmed registrant of Zoo Camp prior to completing this form. This document does not act as Camp registration.
Please review all policies before completing the participation form below. Your child must be the minimum age for the camp session he/she is registered for by the week of camp. Children from different age groups will not be placed into the same group. Program activities and lessons are designed to be age appropriate. Your cooperation will ensure and enjoyable camp experience for all.
Rescheduling / Cancellation Policy
- If you are unable to attend camp on your originally scheduled date, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 412-365-2528 as soon as possible to reschedule. Please note, rescheduling requests are not guaranteed as they depend on availability.
- All cancellations must be made at least two (2) weeks prior to the start of your scheduled camp week. The Zoo will retain a 20% processing fee.
- There are no refunds for any cancellations made less than two (2) weeks prior to the start of your scheduled camp week.
- Zoo Camp drop-off is located in the main Zoo parking lot (7370 Baker Street Pittsburgh, PA 15206). Please do not drop-off in the upper staff parking lot on One Wild Place.
- Drop-off is between 9-9:15 a.m.
- Please accompany your children to the parking lot lawn where signage will direct you to a registration table. Temperature checks will be conducted each morning before your child joins his/her camp group. Any camper with a temperature over 100.4 will not be admitted to camp.
- If you arrive late, please escort your camper to the Education Complex by entering the Zoo through one of the exit gates.
- The Zoo has a strict quarantine policy that prohibits pets from entering our grounds, including the parking lot lawn. Please do not bring your pets to camp drop-off or pick-up.
- Pick up is at 4pm for full day camp.
- You will be given a color-coded tag on the first morning of camp. You must bring your tag with you for pick-up. Please show your tag at the registration table. Staff will then escort your child from their group to the registration table.
- The campers must stay with their respective groups, even if a parent or guardian is waiting in the pick-up line.
- If you are late picking up your camper and no one is in the parking lot lawn area, please call 412-665-3640 and ask to speak with Education or go to Admission Booth #5 for assistance. In cases of an extended delay in pick up, or extreme weather, staff may escort the camper back to the Education Building.
An aide must accompany a camper with special needs if the camper requires one-to-one attention. The Zoo requires that all adults in the classrooms have both the PA Child Abuse History Clearance (ChildLine), and the PA State Police Criminal Record Check, and FBI Criminal Background Check (fingerprinting). These clearances must be less than one year old. Please send copies of these clearances with the participation form on which you have noted that an aide will be accompanying your camper.
- Please indicate on your participation form any medication that your child will be taking while at Zoo Camp. We require that all EpiPens/inhalers be carried in a fanny pack or backpack to be worn on the camper at all times. Please label the fanny pack or backpack with your child’s name. Parents/guardians are notified immediately if their child faces an emergency and uses his or her EpiPen.
- A camper is allowed to carry his/her medication and self-medicate. All medications (prescription and over-the-counter) must be stored in the original product packaging and labeled with the camper’s name. Prescription medication(s) must also include a label with the medication’s name and dosage instructions, including time of administration of medicine, as well as the prescribing physician’s name and telephone number. Zoo education staff will not be held responsible for housing/storing medication(s). Please provide a written statement from the child’s medical provider and parent/legal guardian that states that the child is capable of self- medication without assistance.
- Zoo Camp staff will not dispense medications of any type (prescription or overthe-counter) to camp participants of any age. The staff may assist in the administration of certain life-saving medications (EpiPens, inhalers, allergy medication for severe allergies), if necessary upon written consent of the parent(s)/legal guardian(s) and/or physician’s orders for medical emergencies.
- Each day your child will be served a snack with a beverage. These snacks are not intended to be meals. Please list any food allergies on the participation form and return it to the Zoo prior to camp week. Parents/guardians may send special snacks with campers with allergies or with special dietary requirements.
- Full-day campers should pack a non-perishable lunch, or include a freezer pack with an insulated lunchbox Monday through Thursday. A pizza lunch will be provided on Friday.
- Campers may bring a reusable water bottle (with a strap) to drink from throughout the day.
- Campers should dress in casual clothes, such as t-shirts and shorts, and comfortable, sturdy shoes, such as tennis shoes. Open-toed shoes or sandals are not recommended.
- In the event of light rain campers will still tour the Zoo as planned. Please send the appropriate rain gear (jacket or poncho) with your camper. For safety reasons campers will not be permitted to carry umbrellas.
All campers are required to wear Zoo-supplied nametags during their entire Zoo Camp day. In both the Education Building and throughout the Zoo, Zoo Camp staff members carry camp rosters, participation forms, and first-aid kits with them at all times.
The Zoo has a first-aid station on grounds and staff members who are certified in first-aid. A representative from the Zoo will both notify you and call for emergency assistance if a serious injury occurs. It is very important that you supply us with the appropriate contact numbers on your participation form should we need to reach you in the unlikely event of an emergency.
- In the event of light rain campers will tour the Zoo as planned. Campers will not tour outside if there is thunder, lightning, or dangerous wind.
- If dangerous weather occurs at departure time, we will wait inside the Education Building until it is safe to go outside. Please wait in your vehicle in the main parking lot. Once the threat of dangerous weather passes campers will be brought to the main parking lot for pick-up.
The Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium has the right to remove a camper from Zoo Camp at any time. If a continual behavior problem persists, one or more of the following consequences will be taken:
- Zoo Camp staff will discuss the behavior with the camper.
- Zoo Camp staff will discuss the behavior with the parent/guardian.
- Parent/guardian will be notified by a Zoo Camp supervisor and the child will be sent home immediately or told that he/she will not be allowed to return the following day.
Note: There are no refunds when a child’s own behavior requires that he/she be sent home.
Every camp is full of up-close animal experiences, Zoo tours, activities, games, and crafts. Parents will receive a newsletter on the first day of camp that highlights daily themes. Zoo Camp lessons and activities focus on the daily themes to encourage learning through exploration. Our staff loves Zoo Camp too! Zoo Camp teachers have a deep passion for wildlife and working with children. All of us strive for campers to come away with a strengthened love of animals and the natural world.
We are so excited to welcome you aboard for a fun, memory-making, animal-filled week of Zoo Camp! Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have questions prior to the start of camp.
The Zoological Society of Pittsburgh’s Animal Adventures Summer Camp is a public service and we are unable to accept liability in case of an accident. It is necessary to have you consent for your child to participate and agreement that the sponsoring organizations and personnel will not be held liable in case of an accident. The Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium reserves the rights to use any and all photographs and videotapes for television, public relations, and/or marketing efforts of the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium.
The health information included below is correct as far as I know and the person herein described has my permission to participate in all class activities except as noted by me and/or my physician. Permission is given to provide medical care for this child in the event of an emergency. I hereby release the Zoological society of Pittsburgh, the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium, its employees, staff, instructors, and other representatives, from any responsibility or liability whatsoever for any injury to persons or property and the consequences thereof, whether known or unknown and foreseen or unforeseen, incurred as a result of participation in this activity.
By submitting the online form below, you agree that you have read and understand the Policies and Authorization as outlined and agree to comply with the rules and conditions stated in it.
By submitting the online form below, you agree that you are signing this form electronically and that your electronic signature is the legal equivalent to a manual signature on this form. By submitting the online form, you also agree that no certfication authority or other third party verification is necessary to validate your e-signature and that the lack of such certification or third party verification will not in any way affect the enforeability of your e-signature.