Volunteering at the Zoo is as fun as it is rewarding. Find out everything you need to know about becoming a docent, volunteer diver, or zoo teen.
Docents are women and men who volunteer a minimum of 60 hours per year and must be a minimum of 18 years of age.
Some of the activities docents take part in:
- Conduct tours in the Zoo and PPG Aquarium
- Provide information to visitors at animal exhibits
- Perform observational research
- Assist at Zoo special events
- Visit community groups with small animals
For more information about becoming a docent, email email@example.com or call 412-365-2524.
The Zoo Teens summer volunteer program is available for students ages 14-17. It is a great way to learn more about animals and zoo careers. Zoo Teens will choose one day a week that’s convenient for them. This is an 8 week program, and Zoo Teens are expected to commit to at least 6 weeks. Duties include small animal care and handling, staffing touch tables, assisting with Zoo Camp, and interacting with the public throughout the Zoo, but mainly in Kids Kingdom.
New for 2019! Important Registration Information – Please read this entirely!
Registration for the 2020 Summer Zoo Teen program will be by form submission only from this webpage on January 2. No phone calls will be taken, as in past years. Zoo Teens who participated in the 2019 program should not complete this form; you should follow the instructions in the letter you will receive by mail in February or March.
Only teens who meet the following criteria should complete the online form:
- You will be between the ages of 14-17 as of June 14, 2020.
- You did not participate in this program in 2019.
- You can commit to one day a week for at least 6 of the 8 weeks the program runs.
- You will be available for an interview on March 9, 2020.
Registration is only available from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Thursday, January 2 only. Registration forms will not be accepted during any other time.
Contact the Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions prior to registering. Do not use this email for Zoo Teen registration!
What is a Volunteer Diver?
Volunteer divers assist PPG Aquarium staff with in-tank maintenance of our warm and cold water exhibits, including the ocean tank, sea otters, sand tiger sharks, and more. Volunteer divers also participate in special event activities that further the Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium’s mission.
Do I need previous SCUBA experience?
Yes. Divers must be at least 18 years old, hold an open water SCUBA certification from a recognized agency (PADI, NAUI, etc.).
How do I apply?
- Read the full description of volunteer diver requirements under the “Full Volunteer Diver Requirements” tab.
- Fill out and submit an application form. Send completed form to the PPG Aquarium staff at email@example.com, with “Volunteer Dive Program” in the e-mail subject line. If you qualify, a PPG Aquarium representative will contact you to set up an interview.
- After all further paperwork is complete, you will complete an in-water dive evaluation and underwater diver orientation requirements.
How often will I dive?
Scheduling varies, but divers must participate at least once per month and attend regular volunteer dive meetings to stay active in the program.
Thank you for your interest. If you have additional questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
A volunteer diver assists PPG Aquarium husbandry staff with in-tank maintenance of warm and cold water exhibits, primarily: Ocean, Flooded Forest, Sea Otter, Penguin, and Sand Tiger Shark exhibits. Volunteer divers also participate in special event activities that further the Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium’s mission. Duties include cleaning acrylic panels, cleaning and maintenance of artificial rockwork and corals, assisting with in-tank maintenance, dive show demonstrations and keeping current on the exhibits and collection. In addition, a diver must learn to interpret the collections behavior, to keep accurate records, and maintain clean work areas. Occasionally, a diver may be requested to assist Aquarium staff in other areas or exhibits as needed.
While volunteering, safety must always be a top priority. The volunteer diver must be familiar with all safety procedures as specified by the Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium. The Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium reserves the right to remove any volunteer from the program if his or her actions do not represent the Aquarium in a safe, professional, courteous, and knowledgeable manner.
Step 1: General Requirements
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Hold an Open Water SCUBA certification (or higher) by a recognized agency (PADI, NAUI, etc).
- Have completed at least 10 dives and have been diving, or completed a refresher course, within the last 6 months.
- Supply all diving equipment for aquarium dives (except tanks and weights).
- Complete provide a background check letter or a Money Order of $10 for the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium to conduct a PA background check (cost for out-of-state check varies). Click here for the PA background check website.
- Provide proof of a negative TB test (on your orientation day).
- Provide two (2) forms of proper ID:
- Driver’s license or photo student ID
- Birth Certificate
- Social Security Card
- Valid passport
- Provide a voided personal check if direct deposit is desired.
- Provide a pay-stub from a previous employer or proof of paid $52 EMS tax.
Step 2: Dive Application Forms
- Complete the application form.
- After reviewing the rest of the required documentation and requirements, submit your application to email@example.com. Eligible applicants will be contacted to schedule an interview.
- Complete and sign the PPG Aquarium volunteer diver waiver form.
- Complete and sign the Quiz & Acknowledgement of receipt of the Volunteer Diver Manual.
- Submit initial AAUS Medical Packet to be completed by yourself & a physician.
- Agree to participate once a month at minimum with the dive program.
Step 3: Items that require annual renewal
- Submit annual equipment maintenance receipts on BCDs & Regulators
- Submit an annual copy of your valid DAN Insurance card.
- Submit a copy of your current First Aid & CPR Training as needed, or obtain within 3 months of volunteering.
- Complete AAUS medical re-evaluations as needed.
Step 4: Once your paperwork is complete
- Submit paper work to the Dive Safety Officer & Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You will then be contacted to join an Orientation day.
- Complete an in-water dive skills evaluation.
Step 5: Throughout your participation
- Attend mandatory Volunteer Dive Meetings.
- Remain up to date with PPG Aquarium policies.
- While in the water and at the aquarium, all volunteer divers must present themselves accordingly. Appearances should be neat and conservative. At all times, remember that you are representing the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium.
- All new divers will be signed up to the Volunteer Diver Yahoo Groups, where volunteers can co-ordinate with buddies, set dive schedules, and contribute to our online members’ forum.
If you are a current volunteer diver, log-in here to schedule dives and communicate with the dive team.