Events Assistant Internship
Position Title: Events Assistant Internship
Position Status: Internship
Connect people to wildlife, inspiring communities to conserve nature for future generations.
This position assists with the development, management, and execution a variety of special events that welcome a wide range of audiences to the Pittsburgh Zoo & Aquarium throughout the year. This role includes event setup and execution, administrative tasks, and client relations. This position will assist with the execution of both Community Events (open to general public) and Private Events (client venue rental), with the opportunity to specialize into event tasks based on availability and performance.
Essential Job Functions:
- Assists the Events Department with the operation of both private and community events on a scaling level of responsibility
- Admits and greets private event group members entering the Zoo
- Prepares and tests sound equipment
- Posts event signage throughout the Zoo
- Meets entertainment and other vendors to help unload, checks and follows up on needs
- Assists Grounds and Catering Departments with cleaning and setup as described by Events Department
- Follows up with clients and vendors, reviews event contracts, assists with client files, floor plans, event memos, general organization and office/storage tidiness
- Meets with potential clients and assists staff with facility tours
- Researches prospects and develops lists such as potential companies or preferred vendors in the area that the Zoo can approach regarding events; assists with mailings
- Provides input on the improvement and advancement of Events Department
- Works with customers to meet their needs, make suggestions, and ensure that we exceed expectations
- Assists the Marketing Department as needed
Applicants must be available every weekend in addition to 1-3 days each week. Required skills include strong work ethic, excellent communication, conflict resolution, teamwork, and initiative. A high school diploma is required; pursuing Business or Liberal Arts degree in hospitality, hotel, event planning, restaurant management or a related field is preferred. Other preferred skills and interests are event management, meeting planning experience, sales skills, attention to detail, and flexibility. Exposure to seasonal outdoor temperatures and occasional lifting up to 30 lbs. may occur. Applicants must be vaccinated against COVID-19.
Submit Resume To:
Brittany Thomas – Community Events Manager