SEASONAL EVENTS ASSISTANT
Position Title: Seasonal Events Assistant
Position Status: Seasonal, Hourly
Connect people to wildlife, inspiring communities to conserve nature for future generations.
This position assists with the development, management, and execution a variety of special events that welcome a wide range of audiences to the Pittsburgh Zoo & Aquarium throughout the year. This role includes event setup and execution, administrative tasks, and client relations. This position will assist with the execution of both Community Events (open to general public) and Private Events (client venue rental), with the opportunity to specialize into event tasks based on availability and performance.
essential job functions:
- Assists the Events team with the operation of both private and community events on a scaling level of responsibility.
- Coordinates with Grounds, Catering, and client as directed by Events Manager, preparing venues with decor, equipment, and vendor load-in assistance.
- Monitors event execution, addresses areas of improvement, and facilitates event shutdown.
- Provides outstanding service to guests through the entire event process.
- Meets with potential clients and assists staff with facility tours.
- Works with Education to secure live animals visit for special events.
- Assists with administrative and organizational work as requested by Events team.
- Cross-trains between community and private events to assist as needed, though will specialize into tasks based on strengths and needs.
- Researches, solicits, and coordinates with vendors, groups, and community organizations to strengthen event offerings.
- Provides input on the improvement and advancement of the Events team.
- Supports the Marketing team with assigned tasks and performs other related duties as required.
- Event Execution: The employee can execute and manage an event on their own with the proper knowledge of how to host an event, or shows strong initiative and ability to learn and adopt event tasks quickly. The employee can balance both public and private event settings.
- Attendance and Dependability: The employee can be depended on to report to work at the scheduled time and is seldom absent from work. Employee can be depended upon to complete work in a timely, accurate and thorough manner and is conscientious about assignments.
- Communication and Contact: The employee communicates effectively both verbally and in writing with superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside the Zoological Society.
- Relationships with Others: The employee works effectively and relates well with others including superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside the Zoological Society. Exhibits a professional manner in dealing with others and works to maintain constructive working relationships.
- Provides excellent customer service in the areas of guest relations and park beautification:
- Answers visitor inquiries or finds someone who can;
- Is knowledgeable of location of exhibits, restrooms, concessions, rentals, etc.;
- Disposes of litter and waste throughout the park and zoo facilities.
Completed or pursuing a Bachelor’s or associate degree in a related field along with a minimum of 1 – 3 years’ experience in special events, planning and execution or a related field; experience with sales is preferred. Ideal candidates are dynamic and detail-oriented, skilled at multi-tasking, excel in building relationships, provide quality customer and vendor service, skilled at conflict resolution and working under pressure, and are committed to overall excellence.
- Manual dexterity to operate office machinery such as personal computer, telephone, copier, etc.
- Must have the ability to lift up to 30 pounds for event set-up and tear-down.
- Position involves working in the park with exposure to all types of weather conditions, as well as occasionally operating in an office setting.
- Must be able to work evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Submit resume to:
Pittsburgh Zoo & Aquarium