Position Title: Events Coordinator
Position Status: Full Time Hourly, Non-Exempt
Connect people to wildlife, inspiring communities to conserve nature for future generations.
This position assists with the development, management, and execution a variety of special events that welcome a wide range of audiences to the Pittsburgh Zoo & Aquarium throughout the year. This role includes event setup and execution, administrative tasks, and client relations. This position will assist with the execution of both Community Events (open to general public) and Private Events (client venue rental), with the opportunity to specialize into event tasks based on availability and performance.
essential job functions:
- Serves as coordinator and alternate day-of lead during events; tasks include assisting Grounds and Catering with setup as described by Events Manager or client, serving as host to groups entering the Zoo, and preparing venues with decor, equipment, and vendor load-in assistance. Monitors event execution, addresses areas of improvement, and facilitates event shutdown.
- Assists with the planning of events by supporting the Events Manager with administrative tasks, including bookings, event agenda memos, informational follow-ups with clients, and invoicing.
- Provides outstanding service to guests through the entire event process, including initial pitches, setting agendas, coordination throughout the event, and successful follow-up.
- Cross-trains between community and private events to assist as needed, though will specialize into tasks based on strengths and needs.
- Communicates special events schedule and setup needs to appropriate departments during weekly special events meeting; includes departmental coordination with Catering, Grounds, Maintenance, and Visitor Services.
- Works with Education to secure live animals visit for special events and coordinates animal enrichment activities with Keeper staff.
- Researches, solicits, and coordinates with vendors, groups, and community organizations to strengthen event offerings.
- Supports the Marketing team with assigned tasks and performs other related duties as required.
- Event Execution: The employee can execute and manage an event on their own with the proper knowledge of how to host an event. The employee can balance both public and private event settings.
- Attendance and Dependability: The employee can be depended on to report to work at the scheduled time and is seldom absent from work. Employee can be depended upon to complete work in a timely, accurate and thorough manner and is conscientious about assignments.
- Communication and Contact: The employee communicates effectively both verbally and in writing with superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside the Zoological Society.
- Relationships with Others: The employee works effectively and relates well with others including superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside the Zoological Society. Exhibits a professional manner in dealing with others and works to maintain constructive working relationships.
- Provides excellent customer service in the areas of guest relations and park beautification:
- Answers visitor inquiries or finds someone who can;
- Is knowledgeable of location of exhibits, restrooms, concessions, rentals, etc.;
- Disposes of litter and waste throughout the park and zoo facilities.
Bachelor’s degree in a related field along with a minimum of 1 – 3 years’ experience in special events, planning and execution or a related field; a background in sales is preferred. Ideal candidates are dynamic and detail-oriented, skilled at multi-tasking, excel in building relationships, provide quality customer and vendor service, and are committed to overall excellence.
- Manual dexterity to operate office machinery such as personal computer, telephone, copier, etc.
- Must have the ability to lift up to 30 pounds for event set-up and tear-down.
- Position is primarily sedentary, usually sitting for long periods of time in an office setting.
- Position involves working in the park with exposure to all types of weather conditions.
- Must be able to work evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Submit resume, cover letter, and salary requirements:
Zoological Society of Pittsburgh
Human Resources Department
One Wild Place
Pittsburgh, PA 15206
Or email HR@pittsburghzoo.org