Position Title: Grounds Supervisor
This position works as part of the grounds management team to supervise and direct collective bargaining unit staff and seasonal employees to accomplish Zoo and departmental goals.
Essential Job Functions
- Plans, organizes and implements the day to day affairs of the grounds department.
- Participates in the development of departmental goals, objectives and procedures.
- Collaborates with the assistant curator and the grounds manager to supervise and direct through regular and consistent onsite inspection, the unionized and seasonal staff to accomplish the following departmental goals.
- Maintain cleanliness of all restrooms park wide.
- Maintain cleanliness of all public areas in the park.
- Maintain cleanliness of all glass and acrylic surfaces.
- Removal of trash from all areas of the park.
- Coordinate preparations for rentals, special events, etc.
- Trains and monitors staff in accomplishing custodial functions.
- Coordinates annual training exercises for unionized staff in grounds procedures and equipment.
- Participates in the hiring process for regular, seasonal, and temporary employees.
- Assists in setting up and maintaining a zoo wide recycling program.
- Coordinate the collection and removal of organic waste.
- Supervise and coordinate the weekly disbursement of goods and supplies
- Maintain an adequate inventory of supplies.
- Assist zoo departments with setup of rental/group events.
- Supervises snow and ice removal by unionized staff and an outside contractor.
- Provide monthly reports to the grounds management team on accomplishments of departmental goals and objectives.
- Administer a daily staff startup meeting.
- Maintains a working knowledge of the Bargaining union agreement and assists in the enforcement of the agreement
- Exercises initiative in keeping informed on developments in the field and providing quality customer service.
- Prepares reports, records and correspondence for the grounds management team as directed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned and directed.
- Attendance and Dependability: The employee can be depended on to report to work at the scheduled time and is seldom absent from work. Employee can be depended upon to complete work in a timely, accurate and thorough manner and is conscientious about assignments.
- Communication and Contact: The employee communicates effectively both verbally and in writing with superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside the Zoological Society.
- Relationships with Others: The employee works effectively and relates well with others including superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside the Zoological Society. Exhibits a professional manner in dealing with others, and works to maintain constructive working relationships.
- Provides excellent customer service in the areas of guest relations and park beautification:
- Answers visitor inquiries or finds someone who can;
- Is knowledgeable of location of exhibits, restrooms, concessions, rentals, etc.
- Disposes of litter and waste throughout the park and zoo facilities.
High School diploma and three years related experience. Previous supervisory experience, excellent written/oral communication skills, interpersonal skills, conflict resolution skills and working knowledge of Microsoft software required. Valid PA driver’s license required.
This position works indoors and outdoors equally; must be available to work evenings, weekends and holidays. Local and out of town may be required.