Education Specialist at the International Conservation Center
Position Title: Education Specialist
Department: Conservation Education – International Conservation Center located in Somerset, PA.
Position Status: Part-time
This position develops, prepares, and conducts education programs at the International Conservation Center, located in Somerset, PA.
Essential Job function:
- Develops, prepares and conducts on site, virtual, and off site education programs including school programs, after-school and weekend programs for families and individuals, outreach programs, overnights and other programs and activities;
- Delivers educational components of animal encounters, wagon tours, and guided tours as needed;
- Develops, prepares, and conducts outdoor and nature-based educational activities for community, scout, and school, and group programs at the International Conservation Center;
- Provides leadership and guidance to seasonal education staff;
- Assumes head teacher responsibility during overnight programs and Summer Camp programs;
- Work independently and in collaboration with Education, Animal Care, and other Departments at the International Conservation Center and the Pittsburgh Zoo and Aquarium to ensure smooth facilitation of conservation education programming.
Performs other related duties as required
- Attendance and Dependability: The employee can be depended on to report to work at the scheduled time and is seldom absent from work. Employee can be depended upon to complete work in a timely, accurate and thorough manner and is conscientious about assignments.
- Communication and Contact: The employee communicates effectively both verbally and in writing with superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside the Zoological Society.
- Relationships with Others: The employee works effectively and relates well with others including superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside the Zoological Society. Exhibits a professional manner in dealing with others, and works to maintain constructive working relationships.
- Provides excellent customer service in the areas of guest relations and park beautification:
- Answers visitor inquiries or finds someone who can;
- Is knowledgeable of location of exhibits, restrooms, concessions, rentals, etc.
- Disposes of litter and waste throughout the International Conservation Center and Pittsburgh Zoo and Aquarium facilities.
Bachelor’s degree in education, zoology or related field and one to two years’ experience in conservation education or related field is required. Experience in informal education settings, including summer camps, nature centers, or museums preferred. Strong organizational and time management skills are required, along with excellent written and verbal communication skills. Must have the proven ability to work independently and with a remote and in person team to create and deliver programming. Demonstrated proficiency with computer software programs, presentation skills and attention to detail are required. Knowledge of wilderness first aid a bonus.
Valid Pa driver’s license is required, along with FBI Clearances, Act 33 and 34 clearances. Position may be physically demanding, including walking, traveling in and operating off road vehicles, off trail hiking, and has to lift up to 50 lbs.
This position works primarily indoors and also works outdoors in all weather conditions; must be available nights, weekends and holidays. Some travel may be required.
Submit resume and cover letter to:
Pittsburgh Zoo & Aquarium