Position Title: Receptionist
Department: Visitor Services
Position Status: Full-time, Hourly, Non-Exempt
The Receptionist is a highly visible and very important position that is the first line of communication between the public and the organization. This position is also the primary base of communications for all of the Zoo’s daily operations including, but not limited to, announcements, emergency coordination and office management. The receptionist is an integral part of the Visitor Services department ensuring that all customers have an enjoyable experience with the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium.
Essential Job Functions:
- Responsible for answering all incoming calls and providing information.
- Monitors internal communication systems and makes announcements via the PA system.
- Coordinates all communications during emergency situations and drills.
- Acts as a liaison between the staff on grounds, outside visitors, and callers.
- Maintains the mail and stockroom.
- Assists all departments with clerical duties, coordinates shipments/deliveries.
- Monitors access and closes/secures Education Complex.
- Facilitates the lost and found system.
- Processes credit card transactions for visitors.
- Logs and provides purchase orders and fills supply requests.
- Oversees the daily operation of the reception desk.
- Assists the Visitor Service Manager with managing and scheduling Visitor Services staff when required.
- Oversees the Visitor Services Program when required.
- This position interacts daily with Zoo visitors, providing information and answering questions while serving as an initial contact to resolve complaints.
- Encourages and maintains good relations with all staff and departments.
- Stays current with developments Zoo-wide to ensure visitor experience is always great.
- Administers first aid.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required; some college is preferred.
- Minimum of one to three years experience in an office setting.
- Outgoing personality, excellent communication skills, the ability to recognize and defuse tense situations and successfully multi-task.
- Ability to lift 40 pounds, with or without assistance.
- CPR certified or become certified within the probationary period.
- Have a negative TB test result.
- Zoo operates seven days a week. Flexibility required to work through the week as needed; evenings and holidays.
- Manual dexterity to operate office machinery such as personal computer, telephone, facsimile machine, copier, calculator, etc.
- Position is primarily sitting for long periods in an office setting but does include ocassionaly walking the grounds to maintain familiarity with proper Zoo operations.
- Must be able to work evenings, weekends and holidays, particularly during the busy summer season.
Submit Resume and pay rate Requirements To:
Zoological Society of Pittsburgh
Human Resources Department
One Wild Place
Pittsburgh, PA 15206
Or email firstname.lastname@example.org