Position Title: Associate Veterinarian
Department: Animal Health
Position Status: Full-time, Exempt
Under the direction of the Director of Animal Health and in coordination with the Animal Health team, assists in the day to day operations of the Animal Health Department; cooperatively oversees Animal Health staff consisting of Veterinary Technicians, a Hospital Administrator, Hospital Animal Care staff, interns, students, and volunteers. Provides support to the International Conservation Center in Somerset County, PA.
- Responsible for carrying out the preventative health care program, medical and surgical case management, emergency treatments, enrichment evaluations, post-mortem exams, and collaborating in research projects.
- Acts as direct supervisor for Veterinary Zoo Medicine and Surgery Intern (2 year program).
- Prepares and maintains detailed and accurate animal health records.
- Coordinates in-coming animal shipments, including health certificates.
- Participates in staff meetings, animal management meetings, committee assignments, etc.
- Provides care for animals housed in the Animal Care Center.
- Follows all Zoo hospital policies.
- Utilizes and adheres to the Zoo’s quality of life assessment program and employs data in decision making.
- Observes and complies with all applicable federal, state, county and city laws, regulations, and ordinances including industry member organizations and federal agencies.
- Interacts with Zoo visitors courteously and offers proper attention at all times.
- DVM or VMD from an AVMA accredited institution and be licensed to practice veterinary medicine in the state of Pennsylvania or be eligible to obtain a Pennsylvania state licensing within six months of start of employment. DACZM preferred or in process to take the exam.
- Ability to adapt to high stress circumstances and determine course of action while directing appropriate staff.
- Efficient problem identification and ability to report on issues and recommend solutions to appropriate manager.
- Flexibility in decision making and open to ideas, concepts, and solutions.
- Self-motivated and commitment to professional excellence.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid federal DEA license.
- Ability to obtain and maintain USDA-APHIS category II accreditation.
Manual dexterity is required to operate machinery, restraint devices, personal computer, fax machine, copier, etc. Must be physically able to exert up to ten pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects. Work involves standing, walking, bending, reaching, crawling, crouching, etc. for periods of time. Must be able to lift and/or carry weights of fifty to seventy pounds. Position may require occasional off-site driving. Must be able to work in various weather conditions, as well as weekends, evenings, and holidays as required.
Submit resume and cover letter:
Zoological Society of Pittsburgh
Human Resources Department
One Wild Place
Pittsburgh, PA 15206
Or email HR@pittsburghzoo.org