Position Title: Security Officer
Department: Visitor Services
Position Status: Full-time, Non-Exempt
The Security Officer conducts all security operations for the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium, preserving a safe environment for employees, visitors and property.
- Follows all security policies, protocols and procedures.
- Makes regular rounds of the property to monitor grounds and facilities.
- Locks and unlocks gates and buildings as needed. Starts/stops escalators per schedule and as needed.
- Provides escort for monetary transfers and for any staff requesting assistance.
- Is familiar with emergency management and contingency planning. Participate in regular drills.
- Conducts security operations for specific events.
- Responds to all emergencies and alarms.
- Cooperates with public law enforcement, fire and other safety agencies.
- Creates reports on incidents and breaches.
- Investigates and resolves issues.
- Creates reports for management on security status.
- Coordinates parking operations as needed.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Attendance and Dependability: The employee can be depended on to report to work at the scheduled time and is seldom absent from work. Employee completes work in a timely, accurate and thorough manner and is conscientious about assignments.
- Communication and Contact: The employee communicates effectively both verbally and in writing with superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside the Zoological Society.
- Relationships with Others: The employee works effectively and relates well with others including superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside the Zoological Society. Exhibits a professional manner in dealing with others, and works to maintain constructive working relationships.
- Provides excellent customer service in the areas of guest relations and park beautification:
- Answers visitor inquiries or finds someone who can;
- Is knowledgeable of location of exhibits, restrooms, concessions, rentals, etc.
- Disposes of litter and waste throughout the park and zoo facilities.
- Prior experience as security guard or similar position.
- Experience using relevant technology and equipment (e.g. CCTV).
- Experience in reporting and emergency response.
- Knowledge of security protocols and procedures.
- Working knowledge of MS Office.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Committed and reliable
- Must be able to pass a background check.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Manual dexterity to operate office machinery such as personal computer, telephone, facsimile machine, copier, calculator, etc.
- The ability to stand and walk for long periods on even and uneven surfaces. The ability to lift up to 50 lbs. without assistance. The ability to sit, squat and walk for extended periods. The ability to work in normal and inclement weather conditions.
- Available to work regular days, nights, weekends and holidays as needed.
Submit resume to:
Zoological Society of Pittsburgh
Human Resources Department
One Wild Place
Pittsburgh, PA 15206
Or email HR@pittsburghzoo.org